Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Book Smarts - Jonathan Adler on Happy Chic Colors and Accessorizing

Jonathan Adler on Happy Chic Colors


Jonathan Adler on Happy Chic Accessorizing


This Book Smarts post brings you two books in one!  I've always been a fan of Jonathan Adler, more so since I discovered he makes an awesome ceramic giraffe lamp that I could never afford.  His Happy Chic collection of books are just that - bright, happy, and chic. 

In his Happy Chic Colors, Adler shows us that our homes don't have to be all white and boring.  Infusing colour is definitely the way to go.  In each of the 8 "chapters" (blue, yellow, black and white, red, chambeige, orange, green, and precious metals), he shows us inspiring interiors, along with his go-to paint chips and fabric swatches.  The book looks (and reads) like a children's book, it's so bright and colourful!



Happy Chic Accessorizing is also written in the same fun, and colourful manner.  I was looking forward to this book the most since I don't feel I have mastered the art of accessorizing yet.  In fact, I don't think I own enough accessories to begin with...or at least enough different ones.  Adler organizes his accessories in terms of furniture (tabletops, beds, walls, shelves, mantles, screens and mirrors).  The pictures are again very eye-catching, and full of clear simple tips.  There are even workbook pages in order to help you develop your own style.



The only fault I found with these books was that the same photography was used in both.  It would have been nice to see completely different interiors in each.  Overall, both are an easy and fun reads filled with lots of colourful inspiration!

95% CHIC + 5% HAPPY = THE DECORATIVE NIRVANA THAT IS HAPPY CHIC



7 comments:

  1. Hi!
    Really like your blog (found it by ikeahackers.com ;-)!!! I am actually re-styling my own flat and I like to see other peoples' projects and ideas! By the way.... I'am improving (a little) my english :-)
    Greetings from Switzeland ("the small and european Canada"!
    Cheers
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa!

      Thanks so much! I always think it's crazy how my little blog can be read by so many others around the world! Good luck with your re-styling, I'd love to see pictures once you get it done!
      Melanie

      Delete
  2. Hi! Thanks for your answer :-) And YES it is incredible how "far" a little blog can fly :-) But yours is not so little... and, most important, is full of good ideas.... first of all your ottoman: I also want to try to create one, with 2 old "ÄPPLARÖ" from IKEA (+HÅLLÖ
    cushions). AHAH I am not sure I can do it.. how we say in italian "I have got 2 left hands ;-) " .... but... how knows? Maybe I will be surprised of myself :-)
    PS. By my side, until now I was stupid enough not to take any picture of "before/after"..... But maybe the ottoman will be "worth" :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it will be great! I always get these ideas and then have to figure out how to make them work! Do you have a blog? I'd love to see your progress!

      Delete
    2. Hi! No, I don't have a blog.... but maybe I could create one! A little problem is that now I already made a lot of works and it would be full of "after" pictures... and no (or little) "before" :-)
      How do you "feel" with blogspot? It is diffult to andle with?
      This weekend I will try with the ottoman. I already bought painting and all the stuff. I am really scared of the sewing part.... and my mom is worst than me... so I have to do it alone.. Panic! At this time, as I don't have a blog, maybe it is better if I put the pictures in Facebook? If you want to see it.... yes, it would be fun! If you want you can add me: my full (Facebook) name is Lisa Rosario Bottinelli (the "Rosario" part is not real, but I added it in Facebook ;-). So maybe You can also give some advice ;-) CIAO !!

      Delete
    3. I now have a contact page at the top of my blog. Feel free to email pictures once it's done!

      Delete
    4. Sure! I will send you some pictures of the ottoman .. when it will be done (not yet, eheh) ... I hope in a few days ;-)
      ciao:-)
      Lisa

      Delete

Please leave me your comments!! If you don't have a profile listed, choose Name/URL (you can leave the URL space blank, but please leave your name!) or you can choose anonymous :)