Friday, May 18, 2012

Pretty Boxes

This project was one I had hoped to include for my mom's birthday but I ran out of time.  It became a Mother's Day present instead!  It was such an easy project - the hardest part was waiting for the paint to dry!  I based my project on the DIY Lacquer Boxes from Centsational Girl.  I love that all of hers are square boxes...sadly I couldn't find boxes all the same shape at my Dollar Store!



Materials:  3 Dollar Store wooden jewellery boxes, paint, gloss finish

Source: aubreyandlindsay.blogspot.ca


My boxes came as traditional jewllery boxes with clasps on the front but I thought they made the boxes look cheap and juvenile.  I unscrewed them, filled the holes with wood filler, and then painted all three boxes with the blue paint.  Once that was dry, I taped off the white stripes and painted them.  It took 2 coats to cover the blue.  After the white was dry I peeled off the tape, did some touch ups, and then covered each box with a high gloss finish.  (I used really cheap paint.  If you use better quality paint, or a paint with a sheen, you won't need to do this step.)  I actually did 4 coats of the gloss to get it shiny enough.  They aren't perfect, but I still love them.  The pictures don't really do them justice!




What I love about these boxes is when they aren't in use, they nest inside of each other and don't take up any more space than the biggest box.  They have found a new home in my mom's jewellery cupboard :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me your comments!! If you don't have a profile listed, choose Name/URL (you can leave the URL space blank, but please leave your name!) or you can choose anonymous :)