Thursday, January 26, 2012

DIY: Create Your Own Travel Mug

Looking for a great new gift idea?  I may have the answer!  Recently, I have been going through all of my boxes and junk that I brought home with me from university.  Yes, I'm three years behind... but at least it's getting done!  While going through my kitchen dishes, I found a travel mug that was given to me as a gift from my friend Lynn when we were going our separate ways across the country for school.  I had completely forgotten about it, so it was one of those finds that makes you go "I remember this!!!"  It was a 'create your own tumbler', and she had collaged various pictures of us from high school as a souvenir.  There was no way I was throwing this out, but there was also no way I was taking this mug to work with pictures from high school all over it!


This was given to me as a gift, so I'm not sure where it was purchased, but a quick Google search tells me they are still available at Starbucks, and maybe even the Dollar Store if you are lucky!  The bottom screws off, and the insert is removable.
 
 
I bought some scrapbooking paper at Michaels for 49 cents, and traced the template onto the paper.  The paper is a bit thicker than regular paper - I thought it would be easier to slide into the mug.  (I couldn't get an accurate picture of the colour of the paper.  It's actually a pea green rather than a yellow.)



I cut it out, inserted the paper, and voila - a brand new tumbler suitable for the workplace!  (I did scan the insert Lynn made so I have a digital copy of all those photos!)  No dishwasher for these though - handwash only!  The great thing about these mugs is they can be customized to suit any taste.  They make a great gift too (I still have mine 9 years later)!


1 comment:

Please leave me your comments!! If you don't have a profile listed, choose Name/URL (you can leave the URL space blank, but please leave your name!) or you can choose anonymous :)