Sunday, February 19, 2012

Book Smarts - Domino: The Book of Decorating

Hello all, happy Sunday!  Tomorrow is Family Day here and I'm so excited.  I haven't had two days off in a row in a month!  I think I might get started on a new project, but it's a surprise, so you'll have to wait and see! 

I've decided to start a new series of posts called "Book Smarts".  This series will highlight some of the design books that I have been reading and will hopefully provide you with some inspiration and some good reads too!

I thought I would start with Domino: The Book of Decorating
by Deborah Needleman, Sara Ruffin Costello, Dara Caponigro


Domino: The Book of Decorating is great if you love looking at pretty pictures of pretty rooms.  It takes you through room-by-room (which I really enjoyed) and offers design tips and tricks to make your rooms fabulous.  I loved that the book was written in such a conversation style that it just flew by!  I literally read the whole thing in 2 days. 

At the back of Domino is the best part - it gives a complete resource list of where to find the best of EVERYTHING.  The only downside for us Canadians is the resource list is primarily American stores and suppliers.  Some do ship to Canada though so it's worth checking out.  The book also provides a great decorators' handbook where they demystify all there is to know about window treatments and upholstery!  Something I definitely need to brush up on since some recovering is in my near future!

The book also gave some great tips for different sized rooms.  One of my major complaints about home decor books and magazines in general is that they always feature huge mansions and rooms that the average person cannot afford.  Domino gives tips for small rooms and small places which is great for B5!

If any of you have suggestions for books you'd like me to read, please let me know!  I'm always on the hunt for good ones!


1 comment:

  1. The pear! The pear is so perfect! I just bought a bunch of giant pears to use in my booth at craft shows and such! It was, you know, a 'business expense'

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me your comments!! If you don't have a profile listed, choose Name/URL (you can leave the URL space blank, but please leave your name!) or you can choose anonymous :)